Revilla Seeks Bail in P92.8M Ghost Flood Project Case
Former Senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. on Friday filed a petition for bail before the Sandiganbayan Third Division in connection with a malversation case involving an alleged P92.8-million ghost flood control project in Pandi, Bulacan. The move marks his latest legal maneuver in a case that prosecutors say diverted tens of millions of pesos for infrastructure that was never completed — or never built at all.
Revilla, who is currently detained at the New Quezon City Jail – Male Dormitory in Payatas, faces charges of malversation of public funds through falsification of public documents under the Revised Penal Code. The case is one of two proceedings now pending before the anti-graft court, the other involving graft charges under Republic Act No. 3019.
Sandiganbayan Third Division Clerk of Court Atty. Dennis Pulma confirmed that the bail petition was filed on Friday, February 20.
Allegations of a ‘Ghost’ Flood Control Project
The charges stem from a public works project in Purok 5, Barangay Bunsaran, Pandi, Bulacan, for which P92.8 million had been allocated. Investigators said roughly P76 million was released for the supposed flood control initiative.
According to the Office of the Ombudsman, official inspections and witness accounts indicated that the project was never implemented, despite the disbursement of funds. Prosecutors allege that Revilla conspired with officials of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Bulacan 1st District Engineering Office to facilitate the release of the money.
Named as co-accused in the malversation case are:
- Brice Hernandez, Assistant District Engineer
- Jaypee Mendoza, Engineer
- R.J. Domasig, Engineer
- Emelita Juat, Engineer
- Juanito Mendoza, Accountant
- Christina Mae Pineda, Cashier
The case paints a picture of paper infrastructure — a public safeguard against floods that, on the ground, did not exist.
Court Proceedings and Refusal to Enter Plea
Revilla surrendered to authorities on January 20, 2026, after which the Sandiganbayan ordered his detention in Quezon City.
During arraignment on February 16, Revilla refused to enter a plea. The court subsequently entered a not guilty plea on his behalf. Co-accused Juanito Mendoza also pleaded not guilty.
Earlier, during proceedings on February 9, Revilla’s legal counsel explained that the defense opted not to submit a plea to avoid undermining a pending motion to dismiss.
“No [plea] was submitted to prevent prejudicing their ongoing motion to dismiss the case,” Revilla’s attorney, Francesca Señga, said. She added that “The Ombudsman failed to establish conspiracy… Revilla did not possess the designation of an ‘accountable officer’.”
On February 13, the Third Division granted Revilla leave to file a motion for reconsideration before the Ombudsman within 60 days. However, the court emphasized in its resolution that such leave “does not result in the suspension of the proceedings herein or the quashal of the warrants of arrest.”
The court denied a request to consolidate the malversation and graft cases and scheduled pretrial hearings, with the next key dates falling in early March.
Legal Stakes: Non-Bailable Offense
Malversation under Article 217 of the Revised Penal Code, particularly when involving large sums, may be treated as a non-bailable offense if evidence of guilt is strong. The petition for bail therefore compels the court to assess whether prosecutors have presented sufficient evidence to justify continued detention while trial proceeds.
The related graft charge is filed under Section 3(e) of Republic Act No. 3019, the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act, and is being handled by the Sandiganbayan Fourth Division.
The legal battle echoes Revilla’s earlier high-profile prosecution. In 2014, he was arrested and detained in connection with a plunder case involving the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF). He spent more than four years in detention before being acquitted in December 2018.
Impact on Communities
Beyond courtrooms and filings, the allegations carry tangible consequences for local residents. Flood control systems function as silent guardians during typhoons and monsoon rains. Without them, low-lying communities such as those in parts of Bulacan — a province prone to seasonal flooding — remain exposed.
For families in barangays like Bunsaran, the absence of promised infrastructure could mean submerged crops, impassable roads and fragile livelihoods during heavy rains. Public funds designated for such projects are intended as a safeguard; when projects fail to materialize, the cost is measured not only in pesos but in vulnerability.
What Comes Next
The Sandiganbayan must now act on Revilla’s bail petition, determining whether the prosecution’s evidence meets the threshold to deny provisional liberty.
With pretrial proceedings approaching and motions pending, the case enters a critical phase. At stake is not only the senator’s temporary freedom, but a broader test of accountability in public works spending — where each peso allocated on paper must eventually be matched by concrete on the ground.

