The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has officially commenced its emergency employment program in Boracay Island today.
According to DOLE Bureau of Local Employment Director Dominique Tutay, the said program has started particularly in Barangays Balabag and Manoc Manoc.
“Those workers displaced are into cleaning the island in both two barangays. Part of their work will also be protecting or planting the mangroves in Boracay,” she said.
Through the emergency employment program, worker-beneficiaries will be given the prevailing minimum wage rate in the region and social security benefits.
The DOLE has disclosed earlier that an initial PhP 60-million fund has been allotted for the emergency employment assistance in Boracay island, which will be closed for six months starting yesterday, April 26.
Tutay further shared that they already hosted a job fair yesterday for the formal sector and is planning to conduct another one on May 18.
Aside from this, she said that they have also proposed a program of support for the said sector’s affected workers.
“The DOLE also issued an advisory as to what the employees and companies should do during the temporary closure of the Boracay island,” Tutay noted.