PH safe destination for foreigners — government

Despite the recent report on the kidnapping of British nationals in Mindanao, the Philippine government assures that the country is a safe destination for visiting foreigners, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said on October 11, 2019.

“Of course it’s safe. It’s just that accidents happen,” Panelo said in a press briefing.

Defending the imposition of martial law in Mindanao, Panelo said there would be a high incidence of crime and kidnapping if the martial rule is not in place.

“Given that martial law has been there for two years and it seems the number of crimes there is almost none, except this recent one– that means it’s effective. If there is no martial law, maybe there would be more crimes” Panelo said.

Panelo said authorities in Mindanao are doing their best to protect the residents there.

British nationals, Allan Hyrons and his wife were abducted at their beach resort in Zamboanga del Sur last week but no group has claimed responsibility.

Zamboanga police said two of the suspects reportedly checked in at the resort, pointed a gun at them, and dragged them to the other side of the beach were motorized boats were waiting. (Source: Joyce Ann L. Rocamora, PNA)