Good governance at work: 820K jobs, 41M employment generated in 2018

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) reported that by the end of 2018, more than 820,000 jobs were created resulting in the employment of more than 41 million workers in the Philippines.

The Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) reported that 826,000 jobs were generated in 2018, employing a total of 41.160 million workers. The generated employment are attributed to various sectors especially the government’s infrastructure programs.

The figure is 2 percent higher than the 40.334 million hired employees in 2017.

“The employment situation in the Philippines continues to improve as more Filipinos are getting employed through increased job opportunities in various sectors, such as the ‘Build, Build, Build’ infrastructure program of the administration. This mainly helped us sustain the rise in employment,” Labor Secretary Silvester Bello III said.

“Also, more workers are now enjoying security of tenure,” Bello said.

Full-time employment also grew by 4.7 percent, reaching 29.3 million last October, from 28 million last year.

As of October 2018, the DOLE’s enforcement of campaign against illegal forms of contractualization netted 411,449 regularized workers. 70 percent of these employees were voluntarily regularized while the remaining 30 percent were regularized through inspection.

“This can be attributed to DOLE’s strengthened employment facilitation services and enhanced social protection programs for our workers,” Bello said.

Post Comment